SUP SAFETY & AWARENESS SKILLS COURSE
SUP SAFETY & AWARENESS SKILLS COURSE
Are you new to SUP? Or wanting to gain the confidence to stand up paddleboard on your own adventures? Gain the right skills so you can plan and go on an journey with friends and family safely.
Stand up Paddle boarding (SUP) is an amazing and fun sport to do if you know how to do it safely.
When paddle boarding, we are at the mercy of nature, the weather conditions and water conditions. Conditions can change very suddenly. For example it can be a beautiful sunny day, suddenly the wind comes up and you can’t paddle back to shore. SUP boards are highly susceptible to wind – they have a nice flat surface on the water and the wind can push you and the SUP board along very fast. Before you know it, you could be blown way off shore (either at the ocean or a large inland lake). And worse, you have to paddle against the wind to get back. That is very hard to do.
This course prepares you for your own journey, to educate you what are suitable conditions for paddleboarding, what signs to look out for in relation to the weather and how to use wind and water conditions to your advantage. The course will also focus giving you the skills on what to do if you get into trouble, using SUP self rescue techniques.
Sian, founder of Psyched Adventures is an ASI Accredited Instructor and an International Mountain Leader who is highly qualified, she has completed SUP instructor qualifications with stringent conditions and knows about SUP safety.
This is an essential course for people who are new into the sport.
WHAT OUR GUESTS THINK..
"Just returned from a fantastic weekend paddle boarding. Joe and Sian were great guides and instructors so learnt lots about tides and self rescue before setting off down the Menai Straits in glorious sunshine. We were well looked after and had a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend this SUP safety and awareness skills course."
"We did the SUP Safety and Awareness course with Pyched. It was spot on for teaching us the skills we need to safely plan and carry out SUP trips whether in the sea, on lakes or rivers. We learned about weather, tides, currents, as well as the safety aspects including gear choice, preparation and rescue. It was interesting and the few hours of classroom stuff wasn't too heavy going at all. The locations used were stunning. Even the classroom and cafe were lovely! We practiced on one of the Snowdonia Lakes and then paddled on the second day along the beautiful Menai Straits. We got sea, river and lake experience all in one weekend. Sian and Joe were both very friendly and professional. They are both so very knowledgeable and they definitely have a passion for the outdoors and their sports. Everything was provided for us, including clean and well maintained equipment, clothes, changing mats, changing robes; even tea and biscuits!" 'What a fabulous weekend and amazing business you have.. It was such fun! Really great course. I have had the best time and learnt loads! I absolutely highly recommend Psyched Paddleboarding for training and guiding. I am looking forward to joining Sian and her team for some more SUP trips."
THE SESSION WILL COVER
- What equipment to use and when
- To understand SUP launching and landing
- To understand different type of SUP strokes
- To understand how to maneuver the paddleboard
- Self and assisted SUP rescues
- SUP incident management
- Risk management
- To interpret sources of information including maps and tide tables
- To navigate and understand features
- To be able to source, interpret and apply a weather forecast to a marine environment
- To understand wave, swell and winds
- To understand how to plan a SUP journey
- Guided SUP journey
AT A GLANCE TO
- Professional and high standard event organisation, instruction, kit and equipment
- Qualified Paddleboarding Coach and International Mountain Leader
- Paddleboarding in stunning location
- Gain valuable skills to paddleboard safely on your own adventures
- 2 day course
YOUR CHANCE TO
- Develop the safety and awareness skills to SUP safely
- To increase confidence
- Full stand up paddling equipment from Origin Paddleboards - paddle board, paddle and leash
- Changing robe, wetsuit and jacket
- Instruction from qualified stand up paddleboarding and International Mountain Leader
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders
- Unfettered local knowledge
WHAT TO BRING
- Warm hat before and after activity
- Water bottle (1 Litre)
- Snacks and lunch
- Personal medication(s)
- Fleece jumper
- Change of warm clothes and footwear (before and after paddle boarding)
- Spare set of underwear
- Note pad and pen or iPad for taking notes
WHAT TO WEAR ON THE WATER
- Swimwear or shorts
- Fleece or jumper
- Old trainers (you don't mind getting wet) or appropriate water sport shoes
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU
- Lognjohn wetsuit
- Changing robe (towel) and changing mat
- Rash vest (top) and jacket
- Stand up paddle board, paddle and leash
- You are able to swim 50 meters in light clothing
- Under 18's need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- A minimum of 4 guests for the course to run
Yes, we accept group bookings. Please do get in touch to discuss, feel free to email or call.
If you require accommodation, please discuss your needs with Sian who will be only too happy to help with arranging accommodation for you. The accommodation options include cottages, luxury hotels, hostels or quaint inns, so there’s certain to be something to suit your needs and your budget.
HAVE ANY QUESTIONS?
We have put together an extensive list of FAQs to help you with booking onto a SUP activity with us, so please do take a look here. If you have any additional questions, feel free to give us a call or send an email and we will be only too happy to help.
If you wish to discuss any aspect of the activity, or you wish please phone Sian 01248 440 831 or email firstname.lastname@example.org