News from Regional Rep | Anglesey
The Resistance to Wasteland needs more recruits
What is plastic pollution?
It’s plastic where it shouldn’t be. It’s in the sea and on the beach and it’s causing harm. We’re using more plastic than ever, it’s durable, cheap to produce and we’re consuming it at staggering rates. Current estimates show that at last 8 million pieces of plastic are entering the oceans every single day.
Plastic pollution facts & stats
- Plastic pollution can now be found on every beach in the world, from busy tourist beaches to uninhabited, tropical islands nowhere is safe.
- Scientists have recently discovered microplastics embedded deep in the Arctic ice.
- In 1950, the world’s population of 2.5 billion produced 1.5 million tons of plastic; in 2016, a global population of more than 7 billion people produced over 320 million tons of plastic. This is set to double by 2034.
- Every day approximately 8 million pieces of plastic pollution find their way into our oceans.
- here may now be around 5.25 trillion macro and microplastic pieces floating in the open ocean. Weighing up to 269,000 tonnes
- Plastics consistently make up 60 to 90% of all marine debris studied
- Approx 5000 items of marine plastic pollution have been found per mile of beach in the UK
- Over 150 plastic bottles litter each mile of UK beaches.
- Recent studies have revealed marine plastic pollution in 100% of marine turtles, 59% of whales, 36% of seals and 40% of seabird species examined
- 100,000 marine mammals and turtles and 1 million sea birds are killed by marine plastic pollution annually
177KG AMOUNT OF PACKAGING WASTE THAT EACH BRITON CREATES, EVERY YEAR!
£0.001 AVERAGE COST OF A LITRE OF TAP WATER. 500 TIMES LESS THAN BOTTLED WATER!
Convenient at the time, throwaway plastics are used for a matter of minutes, but last a lifetime in the marine environment, causing death and destruction to all that resides there. With parts of the ocean now holding more plastic than plankton, our entire ecosystem is under threat. Losing food, recreation and the oxygen giving qualities of the ocean will impact every single one of us.
What can we do?
Boycott throwaway plastics. Making simple changes to the way you live not only improves our environment but can also save you money!
EVERY ACTION IS A VICTORY IN THE FIGHT AGAINST WASTELAND!
Suggestions on how you can fight Wasteland
- Remember your refillable water bottle
- Take a reusable coffee cup and refuse single-use take away cups
- Refuse single-use packaging
- Resist a straw; straws suck
- Refuse a single-use plastic bag and take your own
- Take your own cutlery or use sustainable alternatives
- Avoid single-use plastics in the bathroom
- Refuse single-use condiment sachets
- Do your own #MiniBeachClean
- Grab a handful of plastic pollution every time you visit your beach
- Fund the Resistance
- Donate to SAS today. Just £5 helps create Plastic Free Coastlines
Surfers Against Sewage | Autumn Beach Clean
Each year our coastal communities brace themselves against the winter conditions that create a ‘Perfect Storm’ of plastic pollution on our beaches. The Autumn Beach Clean extends deep into this darker, colder time than any other beach clean project. When, in the absence of summer’s tourist spotlight, the health of our coastlines can slip from the nation’s mind.
Along with over 300 other Beach Clean Leaders, I have joined Surfers Against Sewage and their partners; The Crown Estate, Greggs, Parley For The Oceans and Ecover to unite, inspire and empower my community to take action to help create Plastic Free Coastlines.
Abermenai Pont, beach clean | 28th October
I am running Beach Clean at Abermenai Point to tackle the problem on the beach on the 28th October.
Abermenai is the mouth that feeds the Menai Strait and we should be protecting this magical environment. The amount of cotton bud waste, nurdles, fishing nets and broken down plastics we find is shocking.
It would be great if you could join and help with a beach clean on Anglesey, to help keep our fantastic marine life happy and to keep our island looking beautiful and loved.
If you can either join the Paddle and Pick or you are more than welcome to to come on foot with assistance from Natural Resource Wales who will transport you from Newborough beach to Abermenai Point.
Please get in touch if you can help.
Company away day with a difference
Do something different with your team, get them outside and invigorated by doing a beach clean supporting Surfers Against Sewage and paddleboarding with me. Stand up paddleboarding is such a fun social sport and a perfect opportunity to get everyone re connecting with nature and enjoy being on the water.
Our corporate events are a big hit as it creates an increase in positivity, improves everyones wellbeing and keeps your team as one happy family, plus it is a good laugh too. Why not join for a mini beach clean, paddle boarding safari followed by a non single use plastic picnic or BBQ.
Spread the word and do something positive and a little different with your team this year.
Book the SUP experience https://www.psychedpaddleboarding.com/corporate-events/
I hope you can help to spread the word and make changes in your life to help with plastic free coastlines. If you are out for a walk, swim, paddle, please do a mini beach clean. Lets do our bit.
Sian & Ruby the pooch x