Health Benefits of Stand up Paddleboarding
Here are some health benefits to Standup Paddleboarding (SUP). Why don't you give it a go.
- Improves balance: Actually standing up on the board requires a lot of core stability and leg strength in order to maintain a good balance and avoid falling into the water, so SUP gives your core an excellent workout.
- Great body workout: Almost every muscle in your body is used at some point during paddleboarding. Because of the balance required, leg muscles and core will be working extra hard to stabilise you, while the abdominal muscles, arms, back and shoulders are used to help you move the board in the water. So it’s a fantastic full body work out!
- Reduces stress: Water naturally relaxes the body and exercise helps to reduce stress. When you are out paddleboarding you get into a mediative state by focusing on the rhythms of your stroke and being close to the water. It’s a wonderful feeling being away from the hectic pace of daily life and being on the water. The stress you feel starts to melts away whilst you are out paddling.
- Great cardio workout: If you spend enough time out on the water paddleboarding, you can get a great cardio workout! To push yourself a little you can race your friends or try interval training while paddling to make it a bit more challenging – a great way to get the heart rate up.
- Improves your mood: Being out on the water is calming, and a great opportunity to reconnect with nature. It’s amazing what bird and marine life you will see on your journey on a SUP. I’ve been fortunate to see seals, porpoise and watch jelly fish elegantly float past me. It can have such a positive effect on your overall mental health and attitude.
- Low impact: SUP is easy on the joints and ligaments.