Plastic Free Coastlines - Say no to single use
- A 140% increase in plastic litter since 1994
- 38.5 million single-use plastic bottles and a further 58 million cans every day!
- A Plastic bottle may persist in the marine environment for more than 450 years if left on a beach
- 8 million pieces of marine litter enter the sea every day.
- 95% of fulmars in the North Sea have ingested plastic
- 37.4 percent of marine litter comes directly from the public
- Over 100,000 marine mammals and over 1 million seabirds die every year from ingestion of and entanglement in marine litter
- On average there are 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in every square mile of ocean
- More than 320 Sewage Related Debris items are found per mile of beach in the UK; these items include wet wipes, cotton bud sticks, and sanitary items